Sunday, May 7, 2023

Women's Pain

 Painful periods aren't normal 

They aren't something we need to put up with

Science has made strides and we use the tools offered to us.


Every woman has a different experience with their body and their pain.

This is mine.


Trouble is that some GPs don't take women's pain seriously. 

When I was 16 Mum had to take me to see the GP for crops so bad I had to skip school because I threw up my painkillers.


I was nauseous, in a lot of pain, and always got depressed and extra anxious a week or two before I bled. Not to mention the heavy bleeding, headaches and the sweating till my painkillers kicked in.


All that information wasn't enough for this GP to be considered. 

She had a quick feel of my abdomen and said 'if it doesn't hurt now you'll be fine, just take stronger painkillers'

Well, that did help a little. 


But it didn't address the actual problem. 

The problem was I thought 'okay, I guess that's it then, I'll just need to cope'.


Coping looked like not being able to participate in usual activities. 

Coping ment missing out and being late for group photos.

Coping ment being pulled in my supperiser and my manager. 


It was clear to them that I wasn't coping.


I wasn't getting work completed. 

I was having emotional breakdowns. 

I was folding over and calasping to the pain.

My now husband saw this with fresh eyes and a loving heart.

He knew this wasn't 'normal'

He urged me to see another GP.


I spoke to this GP.

She said, that sounds like endometrios. 

She also said the PMS was something we could also treat. 

She put me on the pill, after discussing a few options with me.


I was also seeing an good psychologist.

I watched education videos and came across Hannah Witton.


She's a sex educator and has a disability. 

She talks to other women.

Listening to other's experiences really helped.


I've had ADHD since I was a child.

PMDD (Pre-Menstrual Dysphoric Disorder) 

Is pretty common in women with ADHD

I discussed this with my psychologist before going back to my GP.

She gave me my first pill packet (YAZ)


Things changed from then.

The pill worked well, balanced my hormones, and gave me lighter and less painful periods that I could actually go to to work with. 


Unfortunately due to a migraine with aura

I had to stop taking the pill.

I got the Mirena IUD put in today at clinic 66 in Chastwood.


Shout out to the skilled nurses, doctors and understanding receptionists.

I was nervous but they helped me calm my anxious head.


It's in and we'll see how it goes.

Pray for not PMDD, and development of Endometrios or Adomentios. 

Thank God for the good medical professionals and the scientists that make these things possible. 


Help links

https://www.endometriosisaustralia.org/

https://helloclue.com/








No comments:

Post a Comment